Close, William Taliaferro, 1st Lt

 Service Photo   Service Details
11 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
First Lieutenant
Last Primary AFSC/MOS
AAF MOS 770-Airplane Pilot
Last AFSC Group
Pilot (Enlisted)
Primary Unit
1943-1945, Joint Chiefs of Staff
Service Years
1943 - 1945
First Lieutenant

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

2 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by A3C Michael S. Bell to remember Close, William Taliaferro, 1st Lt.

If you knew or served with this Airman and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Contact Info
Home Town
Last Address
Big Piney, WY

Date of Passing
Jan 15, 2009
Location of Interment
Not Specified
Wall/Plot Coordinates
Not Specified

 Official Badges 

WW II Honorable Discharge Pin

 Unofficial Badges 

 Additional Information
Last Known Activity

William Taliaferro Close (June 7, 1924 – January 15, 2009) was an American surgeon who played a major role in stemming a 1976 outbreak of the Ebola virus in Zaire, the first major outbreak of the viral hemorrhagic fever in Central Africa, and preventing its further spread. He was also the father of actress Glenn Close



Youth, education and military service

Close was born in Greenwich, Connecticut on June 7, 1924, minutes after his twin brother. Raised in France, he attended Summer Fields School, and Harrow School in England and then St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire.Close enrolled in Harvard University in 1941, leaving the school two years later to marry Bettine Moore in a ceremony held February 6, 1943 at the home of her parents in Greenwich, and to become a pilot in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II.He served as the personal pilot and interpreter for General Joseph Harper.

Following his military service, he attended the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and trained in surgery at Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan after receiving his medical degree.

 In Zaïre

He traveled to Zaire in 1960, where he practiced medicine and ran the 1,500-bed Mama Yemo hospital in the capital city of Kinshasa, with the goal of getting health care into rural areas of the country. He served President Mobutu Sese Seko as his personal doctor and was chief physician of the nation's army.

In the mid-1970s, the Ebola virus broke out at a missionary hospital in rural Yambuku, near the Ebola River. The disease, which was characterized by severe sore throat, rash, abdominal pain and bleeding from multiple sites, had killed 11 of the 17 medical staff at the hospital, forcing it to close. Panic was in the air, with roads blocked, river traffic stopped and commercial air travel restricted. The army would not enter the area and President Mobutu was said to have left the county and fled to France, in the face of fears that the disease could spread to others as those infected with the disease tried to escape the center of the outbreak.

On his way back home to the United States for a home leave, Dr. Close returned to Kinshasa from Geneva, discussing the issue on the flight with two physicians from the Centers for Disease Control, Joel G. Breman and Peter Piot, who discovered the Ebola virus. Back in Zaire, Close obtained planes and pilots from the Ministry of Health to transport medical equipment to the affected area, using his personal connection to President Mobutu to obtain the access he needed. Close coordinated efforts in the area, ensuring that medical supplies were directed to where they were needed most. After providing protective equipment for hospital workers, sterilizing medical supplies and quarantining patients, the team was able to break the chain of transmission of the virus, with almost 90% of the 318 people infected left dead.

Blood samples that Close had collected in the 1970s were used to investigate the progress of the AIDS pandemic, showing that the rate of infection had been stable at 0.8% by comparing new samples to the older ones that had been collected in Zaire, one of the few sets of historical specimens available to perform this analysis. This showed that HIV infection rates could have been stable in rural Africa before it spread throughout the world.

Last years

Disillusioned with Mobutu's policies, Dr. Close left Zaire in 1977. He moved to Big Piney, Wyoming, where he became a country doctor, making his final house call a month before his death. During the 1995 Ebola outbreak he was a liaison between the CDC and the Zairian government.

Close wrote four books, which included chronicles of his experiences as a doctor in Zaire and Wyoming.

Close died at age 84 on January 15, 2009, in his home in Big Piney due to a heart attack. He was survived by his wife, three daughters, two sons, nine grandchildren and a twin brother.

Honors and accolades

Other Comments:
From New York Times:
Published: February 7, 2009

Dr. William T. Close, an American surgeon who in 1976 played an important role in controlling the first epidemic of the deadly Ebola hemorrhagic fever in central Africa and preventing it from spreading, died on Jan. 15 at his home in Big Piney, Wyo. He was 84.

Skip to next paragraph
Vincent Kessler/Reuters

Dr. William T. Close, with his daughter Glenn in 2004, was the physician to the president of Zaire, now known as Congo.

The cause was a heart attack, said his daughter Glenn, the actress.

Dr. Close was both personal physician to President Mobutu Sese Seko of Zaire, now known as Congo, and chief doctor of the army at the time of the epidemic, which caused widespread panic in the country, three doctors involved in helping to control it recalled in interviews. His connections, organizational ability and medical expertise were essential in halting it, they said.

Ebola was a newly discovered viral disease causing severe sore throat, rash, abdominal pain and bleeding from multiple sites, particularly the gastro-intestinal tract.

Medical resources were scarce at the time and under threat themselves. The missionary hospital in rural Yambuku, in the heart of the epidemic, had closed after 11 of 17 staff members died of the disease. Belgian missionary nurses who had been infected at the hospital died after they were transferred to Kinshasa, the capital. Roads were blocked. River traffic and commercial air service stopped. Military personnel shunned the epidemic area.

President Mobutu was rumored to have fled with his family to France. There was fear that infected people fleeing the epidemic could spread the virus to neighboring African countries and elsewhere.

“No more dramatic or potentially explosive epidemic of a new acute viral disease has occurred in the world in the past 30 years,” the commission that investigated and controlled the epidemic wrote in The Bulletin of the World Health Organization in 1978.

Dr. Close’s role in the crisis began on a flight from Geneva to Kinshasa as he was returning from home leave in the United States. Overhearing comments between two epidemiologists sent at Zaire’s request from the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta to help control the epidemic, Dr. Close asked to join in the conversation. The three spoke the entire night flight, said one of them, Dr. Joel G. Breman.

On arrival in Kinshasa, Dr. Close, a man with a take-charge personality, immediately arranged a meeting with the Ministry of Health. He was able to help commandeer pilots and airplanes to ferry equipment to where it was needed. Dr. Peter Piot, a co-discoverer of the Ebola virus, said Dr. Close played “an indispensable” role in controlling the epidemic by using his direct access to Mr. Mobutu to gain political and military logistic support.

Dr. Close had one of the earliest mobile phones, “so heavy it had to be carried by someone,” said Dr. Piot, who recently retired as director general of the United Nations AIDS program.

“He impressed everybody” by commandeering a Zairian Army transport plane to fly a team to the epidemic area and helping to identify capable people to work on the team, Dr. Piot said, adding, “I thought, ‘This man is more than Mobutu’s physician.’ ”

“We, the investigating team, were scared,” said Dr. Breman, who now works at the Fogarty Center at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md. But, he said, “Bill was right in the middle, running the hospital in Zaire, assigning aides and making sure the needles, syringes, generators and other equipment were getting to where needed.”

The team broke the chain of Ebola virus transmission by providing protective clothing for hospital workers, sterilizing equipment and strictly isolating patients in their villages. The final tally: 318 cases, 88 percent fatal.

Dr. Close’s efforts also played an indirect role in early studies of H.I.V. a decade later. Tests showed that a high percentage of people in Kinshasa were infected with the AIDS virus. But the rate of infection in rural areas was unknown.

To determine whether the prevalence of the disease had changed over a decade in rural Zaire, Dr. Joseph B. McCormick, a co-investigator of the Ebola epidemic, led another team that tested people in the area in the mid-1980s. In part by comparing rates found in blood stored from a survey in the Ebola region in 1976 to rates from the newer samples, Dr. McCormick said, “we found that the prevalence of infection in the rural area was stable and low at 0.8 percent.”

The AIDS study showed that H.I.V. infection and AIDS could have existed and remained stable in a rural area of Africa for many years. It was one of the rare studies able to compare rates over time in the early period of AIDS and would have been impossible without Dr. Close, said Dr. McCormick, now dean of the University of Texas School of Public Health in Brownsville.

William Taliaferro Close was born on June 7, 1924, in Greenwich, Conn. He was reared in France and educated in British and American schools before entering Harvard in 1941. He left in 1943 to become an Army pilot in World War II.

After his discharge, he earned his medical degree from Columbia University, trained as a surgeon at Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan and soon joined a peace missionary group, Moral Re-Armament, for which he went to Zaire in 1960. There, he had a private practice and directed the 1,500-bed Mama Yemo hospital in Kinshasa and the Zairian national health service.

“He made a real effort to get public health support into rural Zaire,” Dr. McCormick said.

Besides his daughter Glenn of New York City, survivors include his wife, Bettine; two other daughters, Tina Close of Wilson, Wyo., and Jessie Close of Bozeman, Mont.; two sons, Alexander D. Close of Belgrade, Mont., and Tambu Misoki of Sacramento; his twin brother, Edward B. Close Jr. of Littleton, Colo.; and nine grandchildren.

Dr. Close left Zaire in 1977 because he was disillusioned by Mr. Mobutu’s corruption and was losing access to him, his daughter Glenn said. He then became a rural doctor in Big Piney championing hands-on care. He wrote four books, including accounts of his life in Africa and Wyoming. He made his last house call a month before he died, she said.

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Pilot Badge
Sharp Shooter


 Unit Assignments
Aviation Cadet Flight School1st Air ForceJoint Chiefs of Staff
  1943-1943, Aviation Cadet Flight School
  1943-1945, 1st Air Force
  1943-1945, Joint Chiefs of Staff
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1941-1945 World War II
 Colleges Attended 
Harvard UniversityColumbia University
  1941-1943, Harvard University
  1944-1948, Columbia University
 My Aircraft/Missiles
UC-64 Norseman  
  2003-2003, UC-64 Norseman
Copyright Inc 2003-2011