Brownlee, Charles Richard, Col

 Service Photo   Service Details
33 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary AFSC/MOS
Last AFSC Group
Primary Unit
1968-1968, 7th Air Force
Service Years
1953 - 1968

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by Sgt S. Kimbrow to remember Brownlee, Charles Richard, Col.

If you knew or served with this Airman and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Last Address
Alamosa, Colorado

Casualty Date
Dec 24, 1968
Hostile, Died while Missing
Air Loss, Crash - Land
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Santa Fe National Cemetery - Santa Fe, New Mexico
Wall/Plot Coordinates
36W 071

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
  1968, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Aviator (Command)

 Unit Assignments
357th Tactical Fighter Squadron - Dragons355th Tactical Fighter Wing7th Air Force
  1968-1968, 357th Tactical Fighter Squadron - Dragons
  1968-1968, 355th Tactical Fighter Wing
  1968-1968, 7th Air Force
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1968-1968 Vietnam War
 My Aircraft/Missiles
F-105 Thunderchief (Thud)  
  1968-1968, F-105 Thunderchief (Thud)
 Other News, Events and Photographs
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
Col. Brownlee entered the service on2 November 1953.

He was lost over Laos during combat operations.

A memorial marker was placed in Santa Fe National Cemetery.

"On Christmas Eve, 1968, Major Charles R. Brownlee's F105D aircraft was shot down over Laos between the city of Ban Phaphilang and the Ban Karai Pass. Brownlee successfully ejected from his plane and landed safely on the ground. On Christmas Day, Doug King volunteered to be aboard an HH3E helicopter leaving Nakhon Phenom Air Base to rescue Major Brownlee. The helicopter located the pilot, believed to be dead by then, and King was lowered 100 feet into the jungle to the ground. Once on the ground, King freed Brownlee from his parachute, secured him to the rescue device and dragged him to a point near the hovering helicopter.

Suddenly enemy soldiers closed in and began firing. King radioed that he was under fire and for the helicopter to pull away. Brownlee was secured to the hoist cable, but King had not yet secured himself to the cable. When the helicopter pulled away, the hoist line snagged in a tree and broke, dropping King and Brownlee about 10 feet to the ground.

No news surfaced about King or Brownlee until February 1986, when a Lao refugee came to the United States and reported that he had witnessed King's capture, and watched as he was taken away in a truck. The refugee's story matched most details of King's loss incident. Less clear were the details of Brownlee's fate, although a 1974 list published by the National League of POW/MIA Families states that he survived his loss incident."


see Notes
Copyright Inc 2003-2011