Knight, Larry Dale, Maj

 Service Photo   Service Details
34 kb
View Time Line
Last Rank
Last Primary AFSC/MOS
Last AFSC Group
Primary Unit
1966-1974, MIA Vietnam
Service Years
1960 - 1966
Officer Collar Insignia

 Last Photo   Personal Details 

93 kb

Home State
Year of Birth
This Military Service Page was created/owned by TSgt Michael Ceballos (CB) to remember Knight, Larry Dale, Maj.

If you knew or served with this Airman and have additional information or photos to support this Page, please leave a message for the Page Administrator(s) HERE.
Casualty Info
Home Town
Albany, OR
Last Address
Tan Son Nhut AB

Casualty Date
Oct 07, 1966
Hostile, Died while Missing
Air Loss, Crash - Sea
Vietnam, South (Vietnam)
Vietnam War
Location of Interment
Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington, Virginia
Wall/Plot Coordinates
11E 057

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Military Association Memberships
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
  2012, Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Verified] - Assoc. Page

 Photo Album   (More...

 Ribbon Bar

Aviator (Basic)

 Unit Assignments/ Advancement Schools
12th Reconnaissance Squadron460th Tactical Reconnaissance WingUS Air Force
  1966-1966, 1111R, 12th Reconnaissance Squadron
  1966-1966, 460th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing
  1966-1974, MIA Vietnam
 Combat and Non-Combat Operations
  1966-1966 Vietnam War
 My Aircraft/Missiles
RF-4C  Phantom II  
  1965-1966, RF-4C Phantom II
 Additional Information
Last Known Activity
On 7 October 1966, Capt. James A Treece, pilot, and then 1st Lt. Larry D. Knight, co-pilot, comprised the crew of an RF-4C (#65-0885) which departed Tan Son Nhut Airbase on a single aircraft night photo reconnaissance mission. Their target is described as being "3 specified strips" in the vicinity of the major South Vietnamese port city of Hue, Thua Thien Province, South Vietnam. 

 Their assigned flight path took the RF4C from Tan Son Nhut Airbase to Ban Me Thuot, to Plieku, to the target area, and return to Tan Son Nhut. The weather conditions during this mission ranged from rain showers to scattered thunderstorms.

At 2143 hours, the Phantom crew was approximately 45 nautical miles northeast of DaNang on a heading of 195 degrees when they established their last radio contact with "Panama COI," the radar air control tower/site located at DaNang Airbase. The air controller tracked the RF4C over the Gulf of Tonkin as it initiated a left turn, passing through 240 degrees and beginning its target run. The air controller then turned his attention to another aircraft with the RF4C was 20 miles from the shoreline heading toward land and its photo run. Because of this fact, there is no way to know for sure if James Treece and Larry Knight disappeared over water where they were last traced, or if they were over land in their target area where they were heading.

By 2350 hours, Capt. Treece and 1st Lt. Knight failed to return to Tan Son Nhut Airbase and they were declared overdue. The next morning an extensive search and rescue (SAR) effort was initiated and continued through 12 October. The first day 100% of the off shore area was searched by 2 UH16 aircraft. The land search was delayed until 10 October due to poor weather. Once it cleared sufficiently, the shoreline and inland area were also searched using 2 A-1Es, 2 O-1Es and 2 Army helicopters. During this time none of the aircrews participating in the search found any trace of the missing aircraft or its crew. Likewise, no emergency beepers were heard. At the time the formal SAR effort was terminated, both James Treece and Larry Knight were listed Missing in Action.

Notes/Links: (photo) (photo and memorial)
Copyright Inc 2003-2011