Sayles, Wayne, Capt

Communications Systems
 Service Photo   Service Details
2655 kb
View Reflection Shadow Box View Time Line
Current Service Status
USAF Retired
Current/Last Rank
Current/Last Primary AFSC/MOS
3031-Communications Officer
Current/Last AFSC Group
Communications Systems
Primary Unit
1975-1976, 3031, 1817th Reserve Advisor Squadron
Previously Held AFSC/MOS
30450B-Radio Relay Equipment Repairman
30450-Radio Relay Equipment Repairman
30470-Radio Relay Equipment Maintenance Technician
3031-Communications Maintenance Officer
Service Years
1961 - 1982
Officer Collar Insignia

 Official Badges 

 Unofficial Badges 

 Additional Information
What are you doing now:
See bio at
Other Comments:
Am currently hosting a reunion for the 416th Bomb Group (WWII) in Branson, Missouri.  Am working on several video and book projects.
 Photo Album   (More...

Operation Power Pack (Dominican Republic)
From Month/Year
April / 1965
To Month/Year
May / 1966

The mission fell to Lt. Gen. Bruce Palmer, the newly-designated commander of the XVIII Airborne Corps, and Maj. Gen. Robert York, commander of the 82nd Airborne Division. They initiated "Operation Power Pack" and ordered a task force comprised of U.S. Marines and the 82nd Airborne to deploy beginning on April 28. The 7th Special Forces Group, Psychological Operations units, and various logistical support elements also participated.

For the Army, this was the first test of the new ROAD Concept (Reorganization Objective Army Division) designed to develop flexible, deployable forces capable of responding to multiple contingencies.

The initial Marine force arrived by helicopter from the USS Boxer and landed on the western edge of Santo Domingo. The 82nd Airborne Division's first elements were air-landed at San Isidro airfield east of the capital. Maj. Gen. YorkAca,!a,,cs plan called for a battalion size element from the 82nd to advance westward and secure the Duarte Bridge connecting the eastern and western sections of the city. They would then be assisted by loyalist elements in regaining control of Santo Domingo.

The 1st Battalion, 508th Infantry advanced to secure the bridge with close air support from Marine F-4 Phantom jets. Securing the area around the bridge was a hazardous undertaking, requiring house-to-house clearing operations while under fire from rebel forces. The effort was further complicated by the fact that the rebels were assisted by Dominican military defectors who wore the same uniforms as loyalist forces allied with the United States. By mid-afternoon on April 30, both the bridge and the cityAca,!a,,cs main power station were secure. By the following morning, the 82nd had advanced further west and linked up with Marine forces. Additional troops worked to permanently secure the east-west transportation route and this Line of Communication (LOC) was dubbed the "All-American Expressway" by the 82nd. To demonstrate that the U.S. military was firmly in control, Maj. Gen. York marched the 82nd Airborne Division band all the way through the corridor.

By the end of the first week, 500 Marines and two full battalions from the 82nd were conducting security operations on the ground, and by the end of May, the entire division was in country. Lt. Gen. Palmer directed subordinate commanders to begin stability operations. Soon the troops were conducting constabulary operations and distributing food, water, and medical supplies to the members of both factions. Ultimately, more than 40,000 U.S. troops participated in Operation Power Pack.
My Participation in This Battle or Operation
From Month/Year
April / 1965
To Month/Year
December / 1965
Last Updated:
Mar 16, 2020
Personal Memories

My assignment to the Dominican Republic was with the Inter-American Peace Force, providing communications support for the U.S. Army with Tropospheric Scatter point to point transmissions. I had the misfortune during this short tour with Operation Power Pack to contract a case of Malaria, for which I was treated in an Army field hospital at San Isidro Air Base in Santo Domingo. It was actually just a big tent with no cooling in the middle of the Caribbean. Super hot. Not exactly "Combat", but not an island vacation either. I spent about ten days in the hospital there and then returned to duty, where we did have air conditioning since the electronic equipment needed to be cooled. One memory that I have is of the beach recreation area which was enclosed with barbed wire and guarded by machine gun posts at each corner. Everybody looked forward to that occasional visit to the most relaxing spot on the island. I was only shot at one time during this tour. We were in a jeep sent to the center of town on a mail run. We turned a corner and found ourselves in the middle of a cross fire. Our exit was expedited and we found another route to the mail room. All-in-all, it was a pretty safe environment.

My Photos From This Battle or Operation
No Available Photos

  20 Also There at This Battle:
  • Burkel, Fred, MSgt, (1960-1998)
  • Dale, James, Sgt, (1962-1968)
  • Frakes, Forrest, MSgt, (1960-1983)
  • Hawthorne, John, A1C, (1963-1967)
  • Hill, Kenneth, SSgt, (1963-1971)
  • Kindred, Robert, Maj, (1955-1975)
  • Marinello, Joseph, 1st Lt, (1962-1965)
  • Marshall, Maurice, SMSgt, (1961-1995)
  • Packard, Michael, Capt, (1965-1969)
  • Pfanschmidt, Phil, Lt Col, (1961-1982)
  • Watson, Cecil, CCM, (1962-2005)
  • Wright, Stephen, CMSgt, (1960-1988)
Copyright Inc 2003-2011